Old 30-01-2003, 03:44 PM
Jack Hasbro

Default Cucumbers grown vertically

On 1/30/03 8:02 AM, Andy N wrote:
I am moving my garden into considerably less space and would like to
continue growing 2 hills of cucumber plants. My plan is to raise them
vertically to conserve space. I would appreciate advice about ways of doing
this. Thanks

Purchase 3 ten foot lengths of half inch electrical conduit, two 90
degree elbow fittings and a nylon trellis with six inch squares. Drive
(or pound) two of the pipes 3 or 4 feet into the ground ten feet apart.
Weave the remaining pipe through the top of the trellis and then the
sides of the trellis over the two vertical pipes. Connect the top pipe
to the side pipes with the elbows and you are done.

Of course, you can change the dimensions as needed.

I did this about 7 years ago and leave it in place all year. The conduit
never rusts and the nylon has not deteriorated yet!

--jack