Old 29-07-2003, 04:02 AM

Default anyone have a foul smelling orchid?

When the ancient war dogs did battle on 26 Jul 2003 05:36:50 -0700,
(Myrmecodia) did speak the following bit of
wisdom:

Other orchids smell pleasant in small doses but are nasty when
concentrated. Oncidium ornithorhynchum and O. Sharry Baby make me ill
if I'm shut up in a car or small room with them for too long.

On the subject of flowers that smell so sweet they are sickening... We
have a rather large jasmine tree that my husband calls the "dog poop
plant." When it blooms, it produces a huge flush of little white
flowers with fragrance so strong, that it really does remind one of
dog poop. So sickly sweet, it absolutely stinks!

To make this orchid related, I agree with you on some of the
Oncidiums. Some of them are so strong, they give me a horrible
headache even when I'm *not* shut in a small room with them. I
remember one show I went to where I was swooning and had to
continually go outside for fresh air! Powerful stuff!

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"