Old 30-01-2003, 09:01 PM
Mary McHugh

Default Cucumbers grown vertically

Andy N wrote:

I am moving my garden into considerably less space and would like to
continue growing 2 hills of cucumber plants. My plan is to raise them
vertically to conserve space. I would appreciate advice about ways of doing
this. Thanks

I used to grow them up the perimeter fence of my garden. But, I always had to
try to get the plants to grow the correct way (toward the fence, not toward the
garden). Even when they were planted right next to the fence, they still
wanted to grow toward the garden (gravity I guess). Cukes don't like to be
handled so I'd always lose a few training them to the fence. Then, last year I
smartened up and planted a few hills and just stuck the round tomato cages
around them. Get the tallest ones you can find. Cheap, easy, and they found
the cages all by themselves since the hill was in the center of the cage. They
grew up, then back down the cages and even went across from cage to cage. I
had the best crop I've had in years.

That's what I'm doing again this year.

Mary