Old 30-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Bindweed and nettles

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 06:40:15 +0100, Andy Sanson wrote:

I haven't tried bindweed wine.

And I'm going to suggest that you not even think about trying it.

There's an old-fashioned purgative "scammony" that is (unless my
memory is completely gone) made from the root of a
convolvulaceous plant. Its action is what they used to call
"drastic" -- to be plain, you shit yourself totally empty and
then some as the intestines secrete vast amounts of fluid. Used
to be used in cases of dropsy to get excess fluids out of the
body.

You might say that it produces effects rather like the rice grain
stools of cholera.

In addition, bindweed has a latex as sap, and I have an intuitive
idea that that's generally a sign "not to be consumed
internally". Think of the irritant latex of the greater
celandine, Chelidonium majus, and of all the euphorbias.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada