Old 31-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Default when to start peppers, eggplants inside?

We're not all Americans. When is Memorial Day? Is this the same weekend

as
Canada's Victoria Day? The last week-end in May........Memorial Day for

planting was really established many years ago when it was the last day of
May and a somewhat more realistic planting date than today when the actual
date fluctuates. Here, on Cape Cod, the general bottom line safe planting
date is May 30th/June 1st/.......sometimes Memorial Day is as early as May
26th. (this year being one of them)......at this time there is a constant
danger of a killing frost potential and generally is not considered a
totally safe date.......about four years ago the local nurseries lost
thousands of plants due to an unforecasted killing frost on May 29th.
...........I tend to plant mine out around the 15th. but have plenty of time
to observe the weather conditions and more than once have be seen with my
flashlight at midnight covering the plants......HW.