Old 31-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Steve Calvin

Default Mantis tiller

zxcvbob wrote:
What was the secret?

regards, bob

Frogleg wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:32:03 -0600, Bruce Yates
wrote:

Can anyone give me their opinion on the Mantis tiller?

I had a troy built years ago and loved it, but sold it after back
surgery. Went to square foot gardening a couple of years ago and am
considering one for my small garden, flower beds, etc.

How good is it at breaking sod for new planting beds?

My experience is years out of date now, but my Mantis was *extrememly*
sturdy. My problem was getting it started, and someone posted a method
either here or in rec.gardens within the past month of a secret method
to start the critter. I only tried to break sod as an experimental
exercise when I first got it, and it it *did* have the muscle. Big
problem there was roots winding around the edges.

The big plus was the small size and light weight -- easy to move,
store, transport, etc.

Make sure that the mix in the gas is correct first off. I start by
shaking the tiller a few time to make sure that the gas in the tank is
mixed. Pull the choke all the way out (don't forget to turn the switch
on.... don't ask... ;-) ) Quick rope pulls until the engine spits
like it wants to start. Push the choke in about 50% and it should fire
right up, unless the plugs fouled from improper mix.

--
Steve