Old 01-08-2003, 01:32 PM
LeighMo

Default 10gal planted tank?

My LFS told me that to have a planted tank I need to have the bottom of the
tank with potting soil and gravel on top

Some people do that, but you don't have to. I would consider using Flourite
instead. Much easier, especially for a beginner. Or sand mixed with laterite,
if you can't get Flourite where you live.

The tank will have two 36W PC lights, maybe a power head and a HOB filter.

That is way more light than you need. If you are new to planted tanks, I would
consider using half that amount of light, at least at first. 36W over 10
gallons is plenty of light, enough so that you'll be able to grow whatever you
want. A ten gallon with 72 watts of light over it would be a challenge for
even an experienced planted tank keeper. If you do everything right, you'll
have plants growing more than an inch a day, all in a pretty small tank.
You'll be pruning daily. If you do anything wrong, you'll have an algae farm
at best and a tank full of dead fish at worst.

I hope you are planning to inject CO2 in this tank. If you go over 3 watts per
gallon, CO2 injection is mandatory.

Where can I find a list of livebearers online that are compatible with other
livebearers and that won't grow too large?

Try FishProfiles.com:

http://www.fishprofiles.com/profiles...id=Livebearers

The profiles list the size the fish grows to, and describes its temperament, as
well as how easy it is to keep.

Leigh