Old 01-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Pat Meadows

Default Cucumber support

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 08:51:06 -0400, Allan Matthews
wrote:

What type of wire fencing is best for supporting cucumbers grown
vertically? Any ideas?

I've used regular welded wire fencing, the holes are 2" x
4". An occasional cucumber gets stuck in the wire and
deformed, but not too many. I grew the cukes around the
outside of a large circle of wire fencing.

Tomato fencing might be better: larger holes.

This year, we have netting and the cukes are supposed to be
growing up the netting. They aren't because we got them in
the ground VERY VERY late (I was ill and couldn't garden)
and I think were permanently stunted by having been in their
little 6-packs so long. They just aren't growing at all.

Pat