Old 31-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Pat Meadows

Default when to start peppers, eggplants inside?

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:05:48 GMT, Bill Shoemaker
wrote:

Just for what it's worth, I'm in central/N.E. Pa. and last year it
gave the last frost date as early May. I started my pepper plants in
late Feb. to early March, and didn't wind up putting them in the
ground until Memorial Day week, because it was too cold.

We're in north central PA (Tioga County) - we still had snow
on the ground last year on Memorial Day. The year before we
had a killing frost in MID-JUNE. Yikes.

Things were screwed up because of the excessive heat and drought, but
I was glad I started as early as I did. The plants didn't begin to
produce until late in the growing season (some never did), and I
didn't get fully ripe peppers until way after labor day. And, the
bells didn't produce that much.

This was a mix of hot and bell peppers, some of which take a pretty
long time to mature. The bottom line is, I thought I'd started them
too early, but it didn't hurt at all. In fact, this year I'm going to
start some in early Feb., just to see what happens.

I bought pepper plants at a nursery last year, and set them
out in pots on the deck (my 'container garden'). They did
well, we had lots of peppers.

Pat
-- Pat Meadows
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY