Old 03-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Wendy

Default Lycaste question

Hi there Pam, so nice to hear from you. That is exactly what happened to my
guys.....rotted out!
I have a couple of the pond baskets & wondering if you go by the size of the
plant like normal.
Also I wonder if using Coco Husk Chips would be good?
Cheers Wendy
"profpam" wrote in message ...
Hi, Jerry,

I pot my lycastes in either a teak basket or a plastic water culture
basket (one for water lilies, etc.). Lycastes like being moist, but on
the other hand they require good drainage. For example, I purchased a
Lycaste skinneri from the Santa Barbara Orchid Show. It came in a pot
without drainage holes and subsequently developed rot in a matter or
weeks and died. On the other hand, the ones I have grown in the water
culture baskets with spaghnum moss have seemed to benefit from the extra
air flow and the back bulbs have produced plantlets in no time at all.
Hope this helps.

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

-
Jerry Hoffmeister wrote:

Hi all,

When's the best time or should I say when in their growth cycle is the

best
time to repot a Lycaste? I have a large longiscapa that's in a plastic

pot
and growing in opposite directions and I'm concerned the new growths

will
get crunched by the side of the pot (it's already "stretched"). Also,

I'm
curious what you pot lycaste's in - plastic or clay pots and what medium

you
use.

Thanks!
Jerry