Old 03-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Angi

Default Cucumber support

I had 3 tomato cages left over this gardening season and also had to move
into a much smaller gardening space. Only 16X24 feet necessitating growing
the cucumbers vertically instead of letting them sprawl on the ground.
The cages are made from rewire which is wire used in driveways to try to
prevent the concrete from cracking.
The cages are 5 feet high and a diameter of 2 and a half feet.
I planted the cucumbers inside the cages and threaded the vines up inside
the cages as they were growing and now the vines have grown over the cages
and are growing back towards the ground. The produce is perfectly straight
as the cucumbers are suspended instead of having to overcome the vine
obstructions and soil resistance while growing. The vines' tendrils are
adequate support without requiring any additional tying to the wire and it
is just the (cat's meow) technique as far as I'm concerned! Even if I had
all the room in the world, I would never grow them any other way after this
very first successful experience.