Old 04-08-2003, 07:04 PM
dave weil

Default Lavender Dream?

Oh yeah, how about Phyllis Bide? I really like the look of yours. How
old is it? Is it "trained" around a framework or something?

BTW, my Portland from Glendorra is starting to get really big. It's
suffering from spots (that tree fungus that everyone has talked about
maybe), but the biggest "problem" is the fact that it's getting a
little top-heavy. Since it sits in some pretty windy conditions, it's
definitely been leaning due to likely root rock. I've propped it up on
the leaning side using a little stack ofbricks and I hope that this
will help it stabilize. Before I did this, it was leaning at about 30%
off vertical with the longest cane almost touching the ground. I
started trying using a broomstick, but that just didn't work...

I was told not to prune it the first year, which I didn't. I'm
guessing that I should prune it this fall, right? How far do you think
I should go?

As you can see, it's starting to get a little bit of a "rangey" look.
Earlier, it looked bushier.

Here are the most recent pics of it (the first two are from about 30
minutes ago):

http://www.pbase.com/image/19989586

http://www.pbase.com/image/19989546

This one's from April of this year:

http://www.pbase.com/image/19989612

Right now, it's about 5 1/2 feet tall. The earlier shot from April
shows it about 3 1/2 feet tall. I'd really like to keep that "compact"
upright bush shape and I guess I'll have to do that by prining, right?
Any hints?

Oh yeah, a reminder of the tiny little sprout that it came from, taken
probably around April of last year (and this is after it had doubled
in size g):

http://www.pbase.com/image/19989832