Old 05-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Babberney

Default Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help?

On 25 Jul 2003 09:50:08 -0700, (Lisa) wrote:

I have Oak Wilt. Had 3 tree companies out. Plan is to trench, remove
lost causes, and inject potential 'savables' with Alamo.
Only Red oaks have succumed. The Burr oaks seem fine.

I was told:

1. Reds & Burrs don't root graft between the species. The only way the
Burrs could get it is via beetles, etc.

true.

2. 2 Companies say I don't have to inject the Burrs with Alamo.

true

1 Company wants to do it.

go with one of the others

3. We are talking 3 Majestic-sized burrs & 1 smaller one. The cost is
astronomical.

I'm sure.

The Bur oaks are not likely to get oak wilt under any circumstances.
The fact that nearby red oaks had the disease won't matter provided
you remove the dead trees before fungal mats can form on them. Even
if a fungal mat does form, the only way the bur oaks could contract
the disease is if an insect walked in the fungus and carried spores to
a fresh wound on the bur oaks.

Remove the dead trees, inject any remaining red oaks within 150 feet
of the dead ones, and paint any future wounds on any of your oaks to
discourage insects from dropping by.

Here's a site that may be helpful for clearing up questions:
http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/oakwilt.html

Good luck,

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist