Old 05-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Shrub roses

"David Hill" wrote in message
"............ I have a few shrub roses of the Rugosa type. They are all
throwing up suckers by the dozen.

My question is whether such roses are customarily grown as cuttings, or

are
they grafted? ........"

If the roses are rugosa then they are on their own roots so the suckers

will
be the same as the top growth.

Many shrub roses are good growers on their own roots, and again suckers

come
true.

I have a few hybrid teas which I grew as cuttings. They are thriving better
than their parents.

A quick look at the wood of the top growth should tell you if the top are
rugosa.(The Thorns)

They are definitely rugosa growth, but see my reply to Kay Easton.

I think I will just spade out some of the suckers and plant them out to see
what gives.
It looks to me as if my soil, even though it is only a few inches above
bedrock, is a perfect home for rugosas.

[Franz Heymann]