Old 08-08-2003, 02:03 AM
GrlIntrpted

Default help with a Masdevallia Copper Angel

Diana, CT is great for Masd's and Drac's. J&L Orchids is a great source for
these lovely minis, they are in your neck of the woods. My cool loving
minis go outside into a shady spot around the end of September, I keep them
there until first frost, I then bring them into the basement where they are
kept unheated and under 2 flourecent bulbs (warm and cool). I toss them
back into the outdoors around April and watch the weather like a hawk .
If a freeze is anticipated I bring them back into the basement, otherwise
they stay there until the nights get in the 70's. That's when they go back
in the house, this time into the living room where the central A/C is on at
around 72 at night and between 74-77 during the day.

Good luck,
Mariana
NYC

wrote in message
om...
Thanks, I'll try it. I am in Connecticut and the night temps are not
getting that low, but soon they will. I'm a little worried about it
outside becuase of the heat, but I do have a good shady spot for it.

Thanks again,
Diana

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message

Diana,

Night time temps need to go into the lower 50s for this plant to thrive.

What you are seeing is exactly what happens to many Masdevallias when

they
experience too-high night temperatures.

I was growing my clone of this hybrid inside in San Francisco, with

nights
in the lower 60s. It never bloomed and slowly lost leaves.

The minute I put it outside in the shade, new leaves and TONS of new

flowers
burst forth in happiness. Our nights in the City of San Francisco are

almost
always in the upper 40s to mid 50s, year round. It's great being

surrounded
on 3 sides by cold water!

Your daytime temps are fine for this hybrid.

Good luck!

-Eric in SF

"disy" wrote in message
.net...
I have a Masdelvallia Copper Angel that has been limping along for

about 6
years now. No matter what I do, it really never has anymore than 4

leaves