Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Mike Stevenson

Default Compost materials?

According to the Humanure Handbook, sawdust is a prime composting material,
as are newspapers IF they are using soy based inks (only the black and white
papers, never color, contact your local newspaper to determine what type of
inks they use). The sawdust is suitable as long as it does not come from
pressure treated lumber (which unfortunately it probubly does unless you
know for sure you are NOT using pressure treated wood). The pressure treated
wood contains toxic chemicals used as preservatives for the wood, which will
not break down in the compost, and could end up in your food and/or
groundwater...

"Allan Matthews" wrote in message
I notice many people use newspapers as composting material. Is there
any danger from the various chemicals in the ink or are newspapers
using soy based inks?
Also I generate a lot of fine wood shavings and sawdust in my wood
working shop. Are these products suitable for the compost pile and
would they count as "brown"?