Old 09-08-2003, 03:35 PM
K Barrett

Default I'm learning, but Questions, Questions, Questions

Morning sun in a North West window?

K Barrett

"Alana Gibson" wrote in message
Hello Everybody,
I have only been growing since Christmas and have several kinds of
orchids, Phals, Epis, Oncidiums, one Dendrobium and one Vanda.
They are sitting in a NW window without a curtain and get morning sun
for perhaps 4-5 hours. I have air conditioning and temps are about 72-78
F. Humidity is usually a little above 50% except late afternoon when the
A/C runs a long time and I make sure to mist them them. I tried to
arrange them so that the ones who need the most light get the most. Most
are the are about the same color as when I bought them, but some plants
are greener than others, especially the Phals. Do Phals just stay
greener than the others even if lighting is right? I live in a small
town and the available lighting types here are limited. I can't hang
anything in there and I have been given a large greenhouse building but
I have to move it to where our new house is going to be in about March.
So, I need a temporary fix, any suggestions? I don't think I can move
them outside either as it's too hot, 98 degrees is common this time of
year but today they say it's going to be 103 with 72% humidity.
While I haven't killed any plants, I did have root rot especially in
one I bought in sphagnum. So I repotted them all a few weeks ago. Guess
I finally found what works for me, as all have new growth and beautiful
roots showing in the pots, except the Phals. They do have a few short
new roots but aren't gaining length like the others. Are they just
slower to make new roots? I found root rot even in a newly purchased
plant. Do you think it would be a good practice to repot every new
plant as soon as it is finished blooming?
As for the new greenhouse, I've been looking around for equipment and
wondered if you might have any experience or opinion on using a fogger
rather than a mister?
Thanks to everyone who read this sort of long post, and I can surely use
all the help I can get.

Alana