Old 09-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Babberney

Default Oak Wilt! Burr Oaks and Alamo Injection? Urgent Help?

On 6 Aug 2003 12:27:21 -0700, (Lisa) wrote:

Thanks Keith. I have an acre. They counted 21 Reds that are still
alive. One is showing symptoms. Cost to Alamo all 21 is $4,153.50.
This is at $13 per inch. One is ridiculously far away from anything &
he gave me the option on that one (a $221 savings). Then he
tells me this should be done every 2 years. $4k every 2 years? Huh!?
Don't know about that part. Either way, this is beyond depressing.
I'll hold off on treating the Burrs and will watch them closely. This
Alamo stuff better "do" something for me or I'll be mighty PO'd.

I hate to soundlike a doomsayer, but whoever is treating these trees
should have made it plain there are no guarantees. Once a red oak
show symptoms, it's unlikely to survive. Live oaks are more likely to
benefit from treatment after the signs have appeared.

Trearting the adjacent trees is more likely to make a difference. If
trees have been infected but haven't shown symptoms, you may avert
disaster by treatment (but still no guarantee). For trees that are
nearby but not infected, injections are preventative and, in that
capacity, temporary. Retreatment is probably a good idea, but you
might could get away with treating the trees that were closest to the
worst case. This is assuming you remove any trees and branches that
may die in a timely fashion. Once they're gone, the roots will harbor
the pathogen for awhile, and that's why you should treat the adjacent
trees (the disease spreads by root graft, if I haven't mentioned
that). But how long it will be a threat there is debateable, AFAIK.
I welcome any evidence to the contrary.

If you haven't looked at a third-party description of the problem, go
to the Texas A&M link:
http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/oakwilt.html

You may also be able to find a similar link at a university or
extension office web site closer to you geographically.

Good luck,

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html