Old 10-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Unique Too

Default a few pet peeves

"Mark. Gooley" writes:

"For those who prefer a smaller rose[bush]." Okay, if you like
miniatures or if you have a small garden, that's a selling point.
I'm fortunate enough to have room, and I want BIG rosebushes.

I have a small lot, but I really like the BIG plants. Of the 50 or so roses I
have, only 10 are less than 3 X 3 and that includes four miniatures.

What I'm missing from your post is why. Why do you want recent introductions
when there are so many oldies but goodies out there? I ran out of room long
before I aquired all the ones that fit your requirements of "huge plants,
remontant, and strongly scented."

Temperatures rarely go under 20F here in the winter (zone 8b),
which helps roses get big, but the assumption that I actually
prefer itty-bitty bushes or "ramblers" that can barely hit 10 feet
annoys the heck out of me. I realize that there's more money in
3-foot bushes and 10-foot climbers, as most people don't have
a whole lot of room. A few of the Austins get big in warm
climates, but few if any breeders seem to be producing tall shrubs
or massive climbers on purpose, as an aim of a breeding program.

John Starnes in Tampa is working towards breeding larger ramblers that will do
well here on their own roots. He would like to create roses that grow here
without all the attention required of many modern roses. I checked HMF and so
far the only rose listed under his name is one that he found, not any from his
breeding program. If you're interested I can send you his email, but I'd
prefer to not post it on this forum.

Julie