Old 11-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Archie Ritter

Default Hawk Moths, Tomato Hornworms, and Nightshade

"SugarChile" wrote...
You don't say where you live, but here in my part of PA there's plenty of
deadly nightshade in the wild. Any woodsy edge or weedy spot is likely to
have some, and it's probably not a good idea to introduce it into your
cultivated areas.

I live 10 miles from the Arkansas-Missouri border. Nightshade is common
here as well. I checked some by my fence and saw no caterpiller damage.

The only plants I've ever seen hornworms on are tomatoes, and I like to
leave a few of them undisturbed just for the sake of the moths. I've

never
had a serious infestation of them--plenty of garden birds, perhaps--I

might
feel differently about it if I did.

Same here, I only found one hornworm stripping leaves from a tomato one
year, and I destroyed it. If there are enough plants in the future I may
leave it or, better yet, try to relocate it to some nightshade.