Old 12-08-2003, 05:15 AM
Cass

Default a few pet peeves

In article , Unique Too
wrote:

"Mark. Gooley" writes:

I think I've been having unrealistic expectations of a recent
introduction being something that looks and repeats like the
best of the English Roses but smothers houses given half a
chance, when I should be giving my Noisettes and other
potential giants more time and a better situation -- and maybe
get more of them.

I'm trying to think of some of the old roses that would look like the English
roses and get large. Souvenir de la Malmaison, the climber, is close, but
doesn't repeat well for me. How about Sombreuil, very fragrant, lots of petals
and good repeat bloom. But I guess that depends on what is in your mind when
you think of English roses. To me, Abraham Darby is typical.
My Darlow's Enigma and Secret Garden Musk Climber are still babies, but I'm
expecting big things from them. I don't get a great deal of fragrance from
either, but I love those blooms. Especially DE. They look so fragile and
delicate, just perfect little flowers. Mine is planted in an area that does
not get nearly enough sun, but this one hasn't stopped blooming and doesn't
have a single blackspotted leaf.
Reve d'Or is a great, and big, noisette. Mine did take three years or so to
get going well, but now it's covering a palm and cascading to the ground.
This
rose has the most perfect looking buds of any rose I've ever grown.

Noisettes and teas take some time to get established. (except for Mme.
Alfred, who doesn't wait for anything). I like Reve d'Or, but ever
since I saw a full-bore Jaune Desprez flush, I've been holding out.