Old 12-08-2003, 08:13 PM
dstvns

Default Hate the thought, the end of summer is in sight

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:21:10 -0400, Pat Meadows
wrote:

This was probably Eliot Coleman - he wrote a book entirely
on this subject. It's a really valuable book and called
'The Four Season Harvest'. Coleman lives in Maine, near
where the Nearings lived - they were his original
inspiration to start growing things in winter.

I've read both 'Four Season Harvest' and 'The New Organic Gardener'
several times. It's always fun to review different topics, especially
"duckingham palace" Around here we have wild turkeys that take
care of slugs, at least most of the time. Ducks would be a bear
magnet, and bear topics have been extremely hot in NJ lately -- animal
rights activists coming from suburbia and crying 'dont kill teddy
ruxbin', threats against police that shoot agressive bears, etc...

Also, I will grow some plants indoors - in our big bay
window. There, I'll grow Spicy Globe basil, miniature
tomato plants (Red Robin and Yellow Canary), Mini-Bell
Peppers, Tom Thumb Lettuce, cilantro, and my rosemary plant.
The window ledge is 8' x 2', so I can fit a lot on it.

I am trying Rosemary yet again, third plant in 3 years. I believe
this year I'll try less watering and put it near the heater for warmer
temperatures. In the past the basil ultimately gets aphids but can
last until december. Those are all very nice plants, the cilantro
seeds have naturalized and actually overwinter, something I never
expected from a warm, dry-climate plant. A welcome weed.

the bay window is huge and faces southeast, there should be
enough light even in winter. I can supplement the light by
hanging a fluorescent light above the window ledge if
necessary.

I've got a bay window...literally the Bay tree is 5 ft tall right
now. The leaves are great in dill pickles, with a clove of garlic and
a few jalapeno, ancho or anaheim peppers thrown in, mmmm...

Dan