Old 13-08-2003, 11:32 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Rooting in a gel

"martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:20:14 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

About a decade and a half ago there was a sudden burst if interest

amongst
amateur gardeners in the rooting of cuttings in a gel. Then, quite
suddenly, it blew over and if you now talk about it in a garden centre,

you
are confronted with an uncomprehending gaze from the attendant.

I experimented with it in a small way and was quite successful, achieving
something like 70% success rate in the cuttings I tried. It was a neat

way
of avoiding having to see to the proper watering of the cuttings, and it
made it possible to see the development of the roots without having to

upset
the cuttings in any way.

Why has the concept disappeared from the scene?

What was the gel which was used?

plant gel

see http://www.plantgel.com/ ignore the God Bless America

Thanks for the URL. However, in the meantime, I have used Google to
discover that there is still a kit available in the UK. It got quite a good
write-up in the June issue of the RHS journal. It is called "Gel2root", and
is available from Fothergills. The gel contains both a rooting agent and a
sterilising agent. I have ordered a trial pack and will report when I have
some results.

[Franz Heymann]