Old 03-02-2003, 01:37 PM
Andy N

Default Tomato Cages Online?

I have used these (re-wire) cages for years and they can be stored almost
flat after the season by sliding apart the folded wires that held the cages
together and the wires can then be somewhat straightened to allow them to be
stacked requiring very little storage space. A key to preventing the cages
from rusting is to secure them with support stakes and tie the cages to the
stakes so the cages never touch the ground; possibly 2 or 3 inches above the
ground. The other normal rust that occurs will take years and years before
it would cause any structural degradation of the wire cages. I use nylon
tie straps to support my cages to the support stakes and I use 2 steel fence
posts per cage for the stakes.
When deciding how long a length of wire to cut, you need to decide what
diameter you want them to be and multiple that dimension by (pi) which is
~3.14 and that takes the guesswork out of the equation. An example would be
if you want a diameter of 2 feet multiply 24 inches by 3.14 and the length
would be ~75 inches.