Old 15-08-2003, 06:57 AM
Cass

Default High Hopes/New Dawn/other ideas?

In article , dave weil
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:45:14 -0700, Bruce Ritchings
wrote:

Hello,
My local nursery says I should choose between High Hopes and New
Dawn for the rose I need. Can someone please point me to information
on these two?

Here's what I'm looking for (perhaps someone has better ideas than
High Hopes or New Dawn?)
* long rambler (15') that will grow along a 4' fence
* pink (New Dawn is apparently barely pink, so it might fill the bill)
* must bloom in late July and August here in San Diego near beach
* petal count less than or equal to 40 due to coolish temps near beach
* petal count 6, i..e. not single
* disease resistance would be nice due to fog from beach, but not
absolutely necessary (I can just spray like crazy I guess).

Thanks in advance, Bruce

Probably not big enough, but here goes - Souvenir de la Malmaison,
Cl.:

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/item.tmpl$search?db=roses.db&eqskudatarq=61
4

A fabulous rose but lots of powdery mildew in foggy coastal California.

Plant several of them to cover the fence.

Here's another - Setina:

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/item.tmpl$search?db=roses.db&eqskudatarq=21
0

Nice choice. Great old rose, good foliage, nice call, Dave.

Here's one that might fit the bill - Parade, a descendent of New Dawn:

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/item.tmpl$search?db=roses.db&eqskudatarq=46
2

I have Parade, and it's a beauty. Dark pink, tho, not light like New
Dawn. Disease resistance isn't perfect but pretty good.

And a pic:

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=4648

Madame Caroline Testout, Cl.:

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/item.tmpl$search?db=roses.db&eqskudatarq=52
7

Don't let the greater than 15 ft thing stop you from considering some
really fine plants. You can do multiple plantings.

Also, finally, even though it doesn't sound like the kind of bloom
that you're looking for (there shouldn't be a climatic problem
though), my old standby, Cecile Brunner, Cl. I've got 20 ft. canes
within 3 years. and it's in bloom as we speak. Of course, the blooms
are tiny by themselves, but they're pink and plentiful, borne on big
panticles. If you go this route,you'll have to make sure that you get
a repeat blooming variety, because there are apparently some
once-blooming types. I got mine from Antique Rose Emporium, so they
are all likely from the same stock (and they are own root). The blooms
are only 1 to 1 1/2 inches across and they don't last long, but they
are quickly replaced. They look *really* cute partially unfurled (like
tiny cupped HTs, but this only lasts for a couple of says before they
billow out like you see in the pics:

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=891

http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/item.tmpl$search?db=roses.db&eqskudatarq=90
3

(note the phrase 20 to 30 feet g)

Here's a recent pic of mine after only 3 seasons in Zone 6b,
Nashville:

http://www.pbase.com/image/20165860

The top of that plant is about 12 feet up but that mass up in the
trees consists of really long canes wrapped around themselves...

...oh yeah, here in Nashville, this plant blooms as late as November.

A huge wonderful tree climber that will eat the sidewalk in Sandy Eggo.