Old 15-08-2003, 06:59 AM
Cass

Default High Hopes/New Dawn/other ideas?

In article , Bruce
Ritchings wrote:

Hello,
My local nursery says I should choose between High Hopes and New
Dawn for the rose I need. Can someone please point me to information
on these two?

Your nursery probably advises these because they have them in stock.
I'm not familiar with High Hopes, but here's the info:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=3269
I'm a great fan of it's parent, Compassion, but I can report that it's
disease resistance in coastal California is not perfect. I advise
against New Dawn (see below) in San Diego.

Here's what I'm looking for (perhaps someone has better ideas than
High Hopes or New Dawn?)
* long rambler (15') that will grow along a 4' fence
* pink (New Dawn is apparently barely pink, so it might fill the bill)
* must bloom in late July and August here in San Diego near beach
* petal count less than or equal to 40 due to coolish temps near beach
* petal count 6, i..e. not single
* disease resistance would be nice due to fog from beach, but not
absolutely necessary (I can just spray like crazy I guess).

I wouldn't plant New Dawn in SoCal. It almost refuses to rebloom in
coastal NorCal, so I have my doubts about your use of it in San Diego.
It is a beautiful rose, and huge, and would soon turn your 4 foot fence
into rubble. It is viciously thorny. If High Hopes is like Compassion,
it would be a better choice in terms of size. You might need two plants
because I doubt the canes will get 15 feet long. Maybe in 5 or 6
years...

Instead of expecting 15 foot canes, you'd be better off planting two
climbers with lax canes. In pink, you can't do better than Renae, which
you can obtain by looking at HelpMeFindRoses,
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.html and doing a search. Renae has
pink flowers, nice scent, no thorns, maroon canes and perfect disease
resistance. You will have to get it mail order.

In fact, at 4 feet there are many many pink roses that would suit. You
don't really need a climber. Belinda's Dream is a shrub rose that grows
4 feet, and it is beautiful. Here is my brand new this spring plant in
a pot: http://www.rosefog.us/imagesAtoI/BelindasDreamPot.jpg
Mail order fromj Antique Rose Emporium.

Here's Carefree Beauty, another disease free shrub:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=974

Brilliant Pink Iceberg will grow 8 feet in San Diego, but it must be in
full sun for best color. It will get occasional powdery mildew on the
peducles, but it causes no harm.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=24955

If you want a climber, then Climbing Pinkie is another choice. The
individual flowers aren't unique, but the growth is vigorous, almost
thorn free, and the flowering is constant.

Take a look at the on-line catalogs of Antique Rose Emporium and
Chamblee's Roses. ARE sends nice, healthy own-root plants in big pots.
I haven't ordered from Chamblees, but they are well thought of. Also,
Ashdown Roses on the other coast grows nice big roses, but try to order
from someplace as close to home as possible to minimize shipping.

Fall is the best time to plant roses in California. They will grow
roots all fall and burst into growth next spring.

--
-=-
Cass