Old 15-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Jim W

Default Great Dixter. Follow up. Books, books, books?

Mike wrote:

I haven't read any of his books, Joan is the gardener, but she does show
me 'snippets' here and there and explains 'That is what I want to do'
and if it involves the hardware, out comes the spade, spirit level, etc.
Not just his books, but what seems like 100's of gardening books, which
leads me to ask the question, 'Why do gardeners have so many books?'

Gardening is such a huge topic of interest that there's always something
new, or at least a variety of ways to do things.. there isn't always a
'right' answer..
Books offer us a chance to 'meet' other styles and views of gardening
that we might otherwise miss. esp when written by great characters..
Christopher Llyoyd springs to mind at once as does Hugh Johnson.
//
Jim