Old 15-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Lee Brouillet

Default How many koi is too many koi

The fish store I go to not only filters the stuffing out of their water, but
they do what amounts to 100% water exchanges weekly. When we were on water
restrictions, they had to get a variance. But that's how they keep the
stocking levels they do. Now, their "high end" Japanese imports - the ones
that *start* at $500 each, are in a tank that gives them about 500 gallons
per fish - MUCH higher than the other stocking densities. You can push the
limits, but be prepared to pay the cost: better filtration, heavier water
exchanges, more cleaning, constant monitoring of all water conditions, extra
aeration - constant attention. And be prepared with power back-up. Less
fish/less work and problems.

Lee
"Carl Beyer" wrote in message
OK, Take out the filtration factor and what is too much for koi?

The reason I ask is that I see so many different claims, and then I go
see a koi breeder and they have 20 big ones in 1000 gallons (30+
inches). And 50 or more in 750 gallon setups...

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com