Old 17-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Bruce Ritchings

Default rose bud borer?

Thanks, Allegra, that sure looks to be the problem. The article
suggests hand-picking the beetles, which isn't an option for me, but
I'm sure I'll find a beetle-killing insecticide. Thanks for the info!!
Bruce

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:27:42 GMT, "Allegra"
wrote:

Hello Bruce,

Try this and see if it matches your problem

http://members.tripod.com/buggyrose/...curculios.html

"Bruce Ritchings" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,
In the past week or two I've seen a number of buds in my rose garden
which have circular holes bored into them. The holes are perhaps a
sixteenth of an inch across and seem to go only partway into the buds.
When I pull the bud apart, I don't see anything inside (no larva, for
example), but if the bud is allowed to develop into a flower, the
flower is often misshapen. Can anyone tell me what insect is causing
this, and how to get rid of it? I suppose if I just blast the roses
with Orthenex, I'll probably kill whatever it is, since Orthenex is so
broad spectrum, but I'd prefer to use something less toxic, even
organic (or nearly so) if possible. Any help much appreciated, Bruce