Old 19-08-2003, 12:39 AM
Alan Gould

Default Banned Herbicides & Pesticides

In article , Martin Brown
writes
(Rather selective snip)
The main problem with Organic(TM) is that it fails to solve the problem
of supermarket customers demanding cosmetically perfect fruit and
vegetables all year round. And the customer is always right.

Thanks for that thoughtful overview Martin. As usual, my comments relate
to produce sold as organic under EU regulations, monitored by HM Govt.,
produced by accredited growers and carrying the Organic symbol. I have
never seen produce described as Organic(TM) other than mentions of it in
this group, so you are quite correct to question whether such would be
what any customer for organic produce was expecting to get.

My own view is that the most certain way to be sure that food being
consumed is genuinely organic, environmentally friendly and really fresh
is to grow it ones self. The next best option is to go to growers'
markets, or to trade direct with a local accredited grower. A very
popular way of doing that is the 'box' scheme, where deliveries are made
at regular intervals to customers. Most box schemes however have a
waiting list due demand always exceeding available supply.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.