Old 20-08-2003, 04:32 AM
Cecil Kimber

Default Any reason not to put multiple plants in one pot?

Hello everyone,
I purchased a flask of Hwra. Lava Burst 'Puanani' from Al last winter.
I put them all in two large com pots. This spring I potted out one of the
compots but because of a lack of bench space (I'm sure I'm the only orchid
hobbyist who has that problem ;-)) I left the other compot intact. To make
a long story short, the plants in the compot are throwing up spikes like
nobody's business the ones in their own pots, not a one. I don't show my
plants so I think I'll just leave the bloomers alone!
Cec
"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
.net...
Gannet,

Don't do it! Someday when the plants grow larger you will want to

separate
them. Orchids are not like petunias where you can just slice through the
root ball and expect them to do well.

Additionally, if one of the plants die and dry up you won't be able to

pick
it out very easily.

If you have problems with smaller pots get a larger cache pot and sit the
plants together (pot and all) into the bigger pot.

Good Growing,
Gene

wrote in message
Ok, another newbie question.

Is there any reason not to put multiple plants that have the same
requirements in the same pot? Each would have plenty of room. Reason
for this is that a few larger pots are simply easier to deal with in
my situation than many smaller pots. TIA

Gannet
St. Petersburg, Florida