Old 20-08-2003, 01:02 PM
-=Almazick=-

Default Algae Algae Algae

My plants always doing well, they grow 1 inch a day or so. About increasing
CO2 impossible. I'm using 2 Hagen CO2 systems. They both provide 1
bubble in 2-3 sec. I used to use Seachem Flourish but then stopped. I've
been fighting with my algae for the past 6 month. Everytime I try something
new (more water changes, less/more light, adding more fast growing plants,
less food, etc) just can't get the right balance. For more info please
check out my post
http://www.fishprofiles.com/interact...d.asp?id=18132

6 Cardinals
6 Otocinclus
3 Angels
3 Cory's (Bandit, Bronze, Blochi)
2 Perl 2 Red Dwarf Gourami's
1 Bristlenose
1 GAE

"LeighMo" wrote in message
OMG. That photo reminds me of "Creepshow," the segment where the alien

plant
stuff grows all over Stephen King. g

I keep my light 8-10 hours a day.

You should have the lights on 10-14 hours a day. Most plants are

tropical, and
eight hours a day of light isn't enough. Put the lights on a timer, it's

worth
it.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, CO2 5-10, Tank size 65G.

Can you get your CO2 higher? Somewhere between 20 and 30 would be good.

And
do you fertilize? Also, what kind of plants do you have? You need some

fast
growers to suck up the nutrients.

If this were my tank, here's what I'd do. Put all the lights back on.

144W
over 65 gallons isn't that much, especially considering how deep a 65

gallon
tank is. Put the lights on a timer, so they're on 12 hours a day.

Increase
CO2 to 25 ppm, or thereabouts. Fertilize with a complete fertilizer, such

as
Tropica Mastergrow or Seachem Flourish. Add some fast-growing stem

plants,
like Hygrophila, water sprite, etc. And add some algae-eating critters to

the
tank - true SAEs, snails, Amano shrimp, or something like that.

In the long run, trying to starve the algae (of light or nutrients)

doesn't
work in a planted tank. Because plants need the same things algae does.
Instead, try to give the plants everything they need to grow. If the

plants
are doing well, the algae will go away.

Leigh