Old 20-08-2003, 01:12 PM
LeighMo

Default Algae Algae Algae

My plants always doing well, they grow 1 inch a day or so.

How many do you have? If you're having algae problems, your tank should be
full of plants -- at least 90% of the bottom planted, mostly with fast-growers.
Once the algae is under control, you can start thinning the plants and
switching to slower growers.

Can you post a photo of your whole tank, so we can get an idea of how how many
plants you have, and what kind?

About increasing
CO2 impossible. I'm using 2 Hagen CO2 systems.

It is difficult to get adequate CO2 levels for large tanks using just a yeast
system. However, there are things you can do. You could mix up a larger
batch, in a big juice bottle, and attach it to your Hagen reactor.

Still, even will all the lights on, you have only 2.2 wpg. You shouldn't
*need* to have CO2 to have an algae-free tank with that lighting level. My 29
gallon tank has 2.2 wpg, no CO2 injection, and no algae.

I've
been fighting with my algae for the past 6 month. Everytime I try something
new (more water changes, less/more light, adding more fast growing plants,
less food, etc) just can't get the right balance.

Could it be that you're changing things too often? It takes time and patience
to get a tank in balance. You may not even notice it happening. One day,
there will be no algae, and you won't know when it disappeared.

6 Cardinals
6 Otocinclus
3 Angels
3 Cory's (Bandit, Bronze, Blochi)
2 Perl 2 Red Dwarf Gourami's
1 Bristlenose
1 GAE

All your algae-eaters are the sucker-mouthed variety. IME, sucker-mouthed fish
prefer "flat" algaes, the kind that grow flat, as a film of slime on the glass,
leaves, etc. SAEs and Amano shrimp eat filamentous algae. I've also found
snails to be pretty good at eating hair algae. Pond snails, little ramshorns,
or Pomacea bridgesii.

Leigh