Old 20-08-2003, 11:12 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Strange goldfish behaviour

Weldon Wallick wrote:

Hi WLW,

Ingrid has you covered to help your water quality, a little salt might also
help the goldfish. About 13 ounces for your 100 gallons, will help the fish
and won't hurt the plants. Regarding the plants....

I had some parrot's
feather and swamp marigold. Both have died out.

Marsh Marigold goes to sleep in the summer, so it may not be completely
dead. Up north, Zone, 7a I can keep mine going by putting it in a patio
pond, that gets very little sun, I do this by mid-June.

A yellow lily is in the deep part of the "south end". It has two heads
and has been putting out pads and flower like "crazy".

Many yellows are shade tolerant, chromatella in particular. Many reds &
pinks are not. You might want to start a new thread called Shade Tolerant
Lilies and see what you get for answers.

But like the dead plant, this one had many holes appear in the pads.
They just rot. Now it is down to about three pads and a small bud. I
have used pond plant tabs. Growth is very slow.

Remove all damaged growth and see if that helps, if not, take the plant out
and dig up the rhizome, if mushy and very stinky it has crown rot, toss it
in the garbage, do not compose. Do not reuse the dirt in the pot, rinse pot
well. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~