Old 23-08-2003, 12:42 AM
LeighMo

Default Include plants when cycling tank?

We could probably argue for a long time over whether abandoning the
plan is worse in a plantless filtered tank or a heavily-planted
filterless tank. Personally, I think that a planted tank would be more
resistant to mistakes.

It's more resistant to some mistakes. But if the plants aren't growing well,
plants only add to the mess. And if they go high tech, with Co2 and all, it's
a lot more work to maintain.

I have however
heard of several people who run without circulation in heavily planted
tanks without a problem.

Me, too. But you do have to be careful with the bioload. I used to run tanks
that way when I was a kid. (My mom was cheap, and didn't like the idea of a
filter running all the time.)

I'm curious, though: have you heard of many oxygen problems (for
newbies or otherwise)?

Yes. I've seen it in my own tank. I had to add a powerhead to my high-tech
planted tank, because the fish were gasping at the water surface by morning.
The water quality was fine, and once I added the powerhead, all was well.

While it would require retraining fish store employees, I'm not sure
that it adds expense or learning curve. The total value of equipment
on my 125 gallon actually went down when I redid it, as did the
maintenance required. A low-tech tank really doesn't require that much
investment.

It doesn't...but it does require knowledge and discipline that many people
don't have.

But if I were advising a newcomer to the hobby, I'd point them
towards a heavily planted tank, since I truly belive that minimizes
their odds of dead fish.

I recommend a few low-light plants, but I don't recommend a real planted tank
unless they seem really interested.

Often, when people see my tanks, they want to set up planted tanks of their
own. I do my best to help them, but most of them don't succeed. I tell them
they need more light, but they decide they don't want to mess with that. Then
they buy a special plant bulb, leave it on 24/7, and think that will be enough.
Of course, their tanks end up algae-ridden nightmares, and soon are sitting
in the attic, empty.

Leigh