Old 23-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Pam Rudd

Default New to composting

When last we left our heros, on Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:20:33 -0800,
(Jan Flora) scribbled:

In article wcx1b.172055$cF.59391@rwcrnsc53, "Bob"
wrote:

"dstvns" wrote in message

That's a really ingenious and inexpensive way to make a compost bin.
Also use any vegetable or fruit kitchen scraps, plus eggshells and
even brown paper grocery bags.

Animals spread eggshells from my neighbor's compost all over the place. I'd
skip that.

Bob

If you crush the eggshells, the critters won't spread them. I always laugh
when I see a raven fly off with an eggshell in it's beak, out of my compost
pile.

In the spring I crush and spread my egg shells like bread crumbs
for the birds. Everything from the robins to the wrens get some.

(Ravens are *huge* egg thieves -- they steal the eggs out of birds nests.
They also steal shiny things. My SO loses at least one wris****ch a year
to the ravens, when he takes one off to pull a calf that's having trouble
being born.)

Heh, the crows were I used to live were bad about picking up
shiny bits of garbage from around the city and leaving them in
my yard. I had a scuppernong arbor they liked to congregate
in. One day I saw a crow drop something shiny, and went to
pick up the "garbage". It was a shiny...quarter.

I still have it, it's my lucky quarter.

Pam

---

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin