Old 23-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Compostman

Default New to composting

"Pam Rudd" wrote in message
When last we left our heros, on Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:20:33 -0800,
(Jan Flora) scribbled:

In article wcx1b.172055$cF.59391@rwcrnsc53, "Bob"
wrote:

"dstvns" wrote in message

That's a really ingenious and inexpensive way to make a compost bin.
Also use any vegetable or fruit kitchen scraps, plus eggshells and
even brown paper grocery bags.

Animals spread eggshells from my neighbor's compost all over the place.

I'd
skip that.

Bob

If you crush the eggshells, the critters won't spread them. I always

laugh
when I see a raven fly off with an eggshell in it's beak, out of my

compost
pile.

In the spring I crush and spread my egg shells like bread crumbs
for the birds. Everything from the robins to the wrens get some.

That's better than putting them in compost. Egg shells are not organic and
don't breakdown very well. I put them in the oven after it's been used to
dry them out, then when I have a lot of them, I pulverize them in a blender
and put them around plants that need a higher pH (my soil is a little acid),
such as asparagus, hostas, tomatoes. (Any plant that you'd add lime to the
soil.)
--
Compostman
Washington, DC