Old 26-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Pelvis Popcan

Default How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

Figured I'd include both flowers instead of making two separate
threads. I'm a second year gardener, so I've got newbie questions...

I planted Iris in my zone 5 bedding from Schreiner's during the first
week of July. It's reblooming Iris, and the purple ones have actually
sent up bloom stalks and bloomed, not two months after they were
planted (!!)

I'm new to Iris. I can see they send up stalks separate from the
leaves. I'm assuming that after the blooms have faded, the whole stalk
should be cut off down to the base, to get it out of sight.

Am I correct? Please tell me if I'm wrong!!

Now to the daylilies... they also send up stems with their blooms
separate from the leaves. Should I also be doing the same with the
daylilies in cutting the whole stem off after the blooms have fallen
off? I noticed that after the blooms fall off, many of the stems have
a green fleshy pod on the ends that kind of looks like a small pickle.
It's hard. Here's a pic of one:

http://peea.fateback.com/daylily/

Are those seed pods? It's not going to harm the plant to cut off the
stems with those pods, is it?