Old 26-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Frogleg

Default How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 23:53:36 -0400, Pelvis Popcan
wrote:

fran wrote:

Are those seed pods?

YES
It's not going to harm the plant to cut off the
stems with those pods, is it?

NO, you'll be letting the plant store the energy for next year that
would otherwise go to growing seeds.

Thanks a lot! I don't have the time to try it, but just out of
curiosity, does anyone know how to plant those pods?

You leave the pods on the plant until they become dry and start to
split. The seeds are inside the pod. I forget whether I looked up

daylily germination

for details or just figured the 'natural' way would be to plant the
seeds immediately, but I planted some and started new little plants.
It's been several years now, and this summer a very pretty double
flower bloomed for the first time. .