Old 26-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Mark. Gooley

Default Another happy rugosa in zone 8b, and other drivel

It's in a pot, mind you: Sarah van Fleet. I'm reluctant
to put any more roses in the ground so long as the rains
go on (seem to have slackened a bit in the past few days).
Anyhow, Sarah is growing like mad and putting out a fair
number of blooms. Maybe Hansa is just a freak that genuinely
hates heat: mine is now dead. I bouught it potted from a local
nursery that ships in all of its roses: it was compact but just
brimming with that rude Rugosa health when I got it, but soon
languished; transplanting it into the dirt seemed merely to hasten
its slow decline.

Austin's The Dark Lady, not own-root, bought on sale as
a bare-root in late May and potted up (convert your bare-root
plants to "containerized": pot them up when you get them!),
has about a dozen blossoms on it. This reminds me of an
Austin I gave my Mom maybe 20 years ago, a Gertrude Jekyll
that in Illinois (5a) would have repeated spells of heavy bloom
all summer: clearly what Austin has been trying for. If I can get
it into rich dirt that's not too wet or dry...and I wish it were on
its own roots.

Frederic Mistral, a Meilland Romantica-series hybrid tea I
bought at the same time, is putting out a lot of fine blooms,
not too obnoxious in form for a hybrid tea. Small bush,
not really my style, reputedly cold-tender, but I find myself
liking it.

Mark.