Old 26-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Starlord

Default How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

Yep, your in their area and any kind of dead leaves and such around is an open
invite for them. As long as the roots have grown downward, there's no need to
cover the rhizome, in fast it doesn't like to be covered much at all. I go
around and clip off and dead tips of my fans and haul it away, as the green part
is still making food and feeding the iris which is making next years bloom and
any new toes too.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"K. Reynolds" wrote in message

Yes, I do live where iris borers are (Michigan). I'll just check them
daily and clip off dead leaves as they die. As long as there are green
leaves, the plant is absorbing sun. Sound good?

---