Old 27-08-2003, 05:15 AM
Joan Joan is offline
Registered User

Location: Newcastle NSW Australia
Default How to properly deadhead tall bearded iris and daylilies

I believe the OP was asking about seed pods on daylilies. But of
course the process of cross-polination may make both processes ones of
uncertain outcome. I was quite pleased by my daylily, which may have
been an exact copy or a variant -- I have several different sorts. [/b][/quote]

I am new to the forum, but have been hybridising daylilies for many years in Australia. The seedpod in the photo looked to be near ready. As soon as the pod starts to split I bring in inside in an egg carton and allow the pod to dry for 24 hours, then I take the seeds out and allow them to dry for a further 24 hours. I label a small snaplock bag with the parents' names and put the seeds into it, and place the seeds in the fridge (not the freezer!!) till I am ready to plant them. On removing them from the fridge, I add a little sphagnum moss to the bag and leave it at room temperature. Before long tiny white shoots appear. The seeds are then planted in pots where they are kept damp, and green leaves usually appear within a few days. When double sets of leaves grow the plants can be put into the garden. In our climate most bloom in 9 -12 months. I have never seen a seedling that was exactly like the parent.