Old 27-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Bob Bauer

Default Another happy rugosa in zone 8b, and other drivel

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:34:50 GMT, "Mark. Gooley"
wrote:

Frederic Mistral, a Meilland Romantica-series hybrid tea I
bought at the same time, is putting out a lot of fine blooms,
not too obnoxious in form for a hybrid tea. Small bush,
not really my style,

Small bush for you now, but this rose gets big. I mean really really
big and is a fast grower. 7 feet tall and wide in 2 to 3 years.
Needs a hard spring pruning to keep it under control after that.

reputedly cold-tender,

Survives fine in my Zone 6 climate. Hot and dry summer cold winter.

but I find myself liking it.

You should like it, because it is one of the truly great roses. It is
consistently the best smelling modern rose I know of. It is also
vigorous to the point of almost being everblooming.

Have a good one,

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/