Old 27-08-2003, 03:12 PM
animaux

Default Any value in becoming a master gardener?

Master Gardener is a fancy title the Extension Service hands out to people who
volunteer their time in the community, promoting gardening. Many times, these
people will do different tasks the Agent is supposed to do, but he/she dishes it
out to the Master Gardeners.

In no way will they allow you to go through the program if you mention it's to
help you with your career. Any people in the industry know it's a limited
amount of knowledge in return for many hours of volunteer work. In order to be
current and certified, you'd have to do a set amount of volunteer hours,
annually.

I say go take a course in one of the horticulture sciences. Much better way to
promote your ability and not a sham.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:20:52 GMT, (dstvns) opined:

Hello,

I've been interested in joining a local master gardener program. The
only really bad side are the class hours....classes are on wednesdays
for 6 months in the winter from 10-noon. The only bad thing about
these hours are the location in the week...I would gladly take a 2 or
even 3 hour class after work hours for 6 months.

I was wondering if anyone has found being a master gardener to be a
boost in finding jobs in horticulture, or at least some sort of
respect in the agricultural fields (excuse the pun). Is there any
value to these positions, or are you simply 100 free hours of hired
help the first year, then 25 hours every year thereafter? I don't
mind the volunteer work either, but these classes seem to focus the
vast amount of time on flower gardens, not the herb, fruit and
vegetables which I enjoy so much in gardening. When I asked more
about utilitarian gardening (ie food), the trainer gave a blank stare,
as if noone had ever thought of focusing on these topics.

Thanks for any insight,
Dan