Old 27-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Pam

Default Any value in becoming a master gardener?

dstvns wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has found being a master gardener to be a
boost in finding jobs in horticulture, or at least some sort of
respect in the agricultural fields (excuse the pun). Is there any
value to these positions, or are you simply 100 free hours of hired
help the first year, then 25 hours every year thereafter? I don't
mind the volunteer work either, but these classes seem to focus the
vast amount of time on flower gardens, not the herb, fruit and
vegetables which I enjoy so much in gardening. When I asked more
about utilitarian gardening (ie food), the trainer gave a blank stare,
as if noone had ever thought of focusing on these topics.

From the point of view of a professional horticulturist in the state where
the MG program was first developed, it is of NO benefit to establishing a
professional career. The program was not intended for this purpose and to
be blatantly honest, very few "graduates" have anything more than the most
cursory horticultural knowledge. The program was intended to relieve the
local extension agents of the huge amounts of gardening-related questions
that pop up daily by offering free 'plant clinics' at local garden centers
and nursery departments of larger discount and box stores. It has expanded
in some areas to include other volunteer activities like reclaiming
greenbelts of exotic invasives, demonstration gardens, planting of small
pocket parks and traffic circles, etc.

If you wish to expand your own knowledge to a limited degree ( you can
achieve as much or more with self-study) and like to volunteer and have
the time to do so, then this is a good program to participate in. If you
wish to enter the horticultural field in any professional capacity, then
take the time to get proper training through a technical or community
college or other accreditied institution. I know of few professionals in
this biz that regard MG's with any kind of respect.

pam - gardengal