Old 28-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Cass

Default Another happy rugosa in zone 8b, and other drivel

In article , Bob Bauer
wrote:

Cass asked:

Bob, how is Looping growing for you?

Hi Cass! All of the roses that you nursed for me are doing well.

Looping and Compassion are about 3 feet tall each, in larger pots,
have bloomed a couple of times and are about to go into the ground in
early September. ( I never plant anything in the blast furnace of
summer around these parts).

Yeah, Compassion thus far has been beautiful.....when it blooms. Not
tons of them, that's for sure.

I haven't been much of a cyber rose guy for the last couple of months
because I'm out in the garden in all of my spare time . ....(or
sleeping..... heh ) I've noticed that my internet rose activity
really picks up steam after the killing frosts hit me. After that it
is all about rose fantasy for about 5 months.

Why wait? This time of year is rose ordering season for next year. I
just bought my first batch of OR's to work on this fall. The only
thing missing is William Baffin. I must have it.

Mary and I really enjoyed visiting your garden this spring. AND Mary
took one of your suggestions and settled a case with it. (nail them
with interoggatories.) Does that mean you get a commission?

..........Or at least a rose?

No, but a visit the next time you're in the Bay Area would be good.
Bring your car. You can take home Minuette and Dr. Brownell, which
didn't die after all. Dr. B. has nice amber blooms, but so far, they
open and blow in a day....here, where it's 68 degrees on a good day. It
also seems to not want to grow roots. Minuette it opening its first
blooms slowly, ever so slowly. Must love the heat. It wants SLC.

Oh, by the way, Phyllis Bide is "The Rose That Ate Cleveland"!
That thing grows like it's on fire, and is NEVER out of bloom. You
told me that a couple of years ago, but would I listen?...... well
actually I did, but I am still amazed.

It must still be small enough for you to deadhead. It sets a billion
hips, so I see bloom reduction from that. My next will be espaliered so
that I can reach the top.

Anything amazed you this year?

Yes, Belinda's Dream. I bought 2 from ARE this spring, and the plants
are fantastic, the blooms are big, many petalled affairs, and the scent
is decent.

Eden ((1950?) That is one I couldn't get for you. On its own roots, it
is vigorous, clean, and floriferous here. Mine is in bloom as we speak.
I never thought I'd like a traditional HT, but this I enjoy immensely.
If Peace used to look like Eden in size, vigor and repeat, no wonder
people love(d) it.

New to me also is Mr. Moore's Shadow Dancer. Love it, but then I like
anything striped and any Kordesii. Clean, blooms constantly, vigorous.

Illusion? Another Kordesii that has been fabulous. Alice gave me a
small plant last year, and like my other Kordesiis, all it did the
first year was things I couldn't see. This year it has bloomed
non-stop, scarlet like Altissimo, that clean scent like Rosarium
Uetersen, perfect foliage.

The rest of the standouts are found roses or teas, chinas and noisettes.

Nice seeing you post here, Bob.