Old 29-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Bob Bauer

Default Another happy rugosa in zone 8b, and other drivel

Cass said:

... After that (Frost time) it
is all about rose fantasy for about 5 months.

Why wait? This time of year is rose ordering season for next year. I
just bought my first batch of OR's to work on this fall.

I wish it were true in my climate. Killing frost is about October
15th, and if I plant now it would get hit as soon as it bloomed and
probably wouldn't survive the winter. I just have to settle for rose
buying season being March 15th to April 30th for me.

The only
thing missing is William Baffin. I must have it.

Why? Must have must mean something great.

... a visit the next time you're in the Bay Area would be good.
Bring your car. You can take home Minuette and Dr. Brownell, which
didn't die after all.

I bought another Dr. Brownell, and it loves the heat here. Funny, the
blooms seem to last a bit longer here, go figure.

...Minuette is opening its first
blooms slowly, ever so slowly. Must love the heat. It wants SLC.

Hey I'd love to take it off your hands. I first saw it and wanted it
at Greg Lowery and Philip Robinson's garden in your neck of the woods
3 years ago. So it will work for you as well, I am sure. I think
you should keep it if you like the blooms. I think the blooms are
unique and beautiful.

...Phyllis Bide is That thing grows like it's on fire...

It must still be small enough for you to deadhead. It sets a billion
hips, so I see bloom reduction from that.

I don't deadhead at all, it just keeps shooting out new 8 foot canes
in all directions.... continuously. Maybe it has a hormone
problem.... heh heh

Anything amazed you this year?

Yes, Belinda's Dream. I bought 2 from ARE this spring, and the plants
are fantastic, the blooms are big, many petalled affairs, and the scent
is decent.

EVERYbody has been saying this. I had better take it all seriously.
OK, here is my 2004 want list:

1) - Belinda's Dream

You gotta start somewhere...... grin

Eden ((1950?) That is one I couldn't get for you. On its own roots, it
is vigorous, clean, and floriferous here. Mine is in bloom as we speak.
I never thought I'd like a traditional HT, but this I enjoy immensely.
If Peace used to look like Eden in size, vigor and repeat, no wonder
people love(d) it.

2) Eden (The old HT not the Pierre de Ronsard one)

New to me also is Mr. Moore's Shadow Dancer. Love it, but then I like
anything striped and any Kordesii. Clean, blooms constantly, vigorous.

Got it, love it too. The other two full sized Moore roses that I got
this year are 'Renae' and 'Linda Campbell'. Both are on the list of
truly all time great roses. " Which list is that?", you ask? The one
in my head of course.... heh

Illusion? Another Kordesii that has been fabulous. Alice gave me a
small plant last year, and like my other Kordesiis, all it did the
first year was things I couldn't see. This year it has bloomed
non-stop, scarlet like Altissimo, that clean scent like Rosarium
Uetersen, perfect foliage.

Never hoid of it, will have to check it out further.

The rest of the standouts are found roses or teas, chinas and noisettes.

Which Noisette's? I can grow those here in Zone 6 I have found.
Their lack of winter hardiness is highly over stated I think.

Nice seeing you post here, Bob.

Hey, thanks. seeyalata,

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/