Old 30-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Cass

Default Another happy rugosa in zone 8b, and other drivel

Bob Bauer wrote:

Cass said:

The only thing missing is William Baffin. I must have it.

Why? Must have must mean something great.

I've seen awesome spring bloom....in pictures.

Hey, what are the standouts new to you this year? Obviously we all have
Outta The Blue.

... a visit the next time you're in the Bay Area would be good.
Bring your car. You can take home Minuette and Dr. Brownell, which
didn't die after all.

I bought another Dr. Brownell, and it loves the heat here. Funny, the
blooms seem to last a bit longer here, go figure.

That's encouraging. The plant has really struggled. Maybe it'll get
better here too.

...Minuette is opening its first
blooms slowly, ever so slowly. Must love the heat. It wants SLC.

Hey I'd love to take it off your hands. ... I think the blooms are
unique and beautiful.

Yes, they're pretty. And it wants to grow clean. I'll hold on to it
(what else am I going to do?)

Anything amazed you this year?

Yes, Belinda's Dream. I bought 2 from ARE this spring

EVERYbody has been saying this. I had better take it all seriously.
OK, here is my 2004 want list:

1) - Belinda's Dream

You gotta start somewhere...... grin

Start he http://www.rosefog.us/imagesAtoI/BelindasDreamPot.jpg

Eden ((1950?)

2) Eden (The old HT not the Pierre de Ronsard one)

New to me also is Mr. Moore's Shadow Dancer. Love it, but then I like
anything striped and any Kordesii. Clean, blooms constantly, vigorous.

Got it, love it too. The other two full sized Moore roses that I got
this year are 'Renae' and 'Linda Campbell'.

I bought three of his shrubs this spring: Sunshine Sally, which is a
cutie but doesn't photograph well. It's got polyantha/mini shiny
foliage and butter yellow little semi-double blooms. Background
material.

Also: Out of Yesteryear.
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...yesteryear.jpg

I just bought Pink Powderpuff. It hasn't even bloomed yet.

Which Noisette's? I can grow those here in Zone 6 I have found.
Their lack of winter hardiness is highly over stated I think.

Lamarque from ARE (accept no substitutes)- here, much better than
so-called Sombreuil, tho the blooms aren't as big

Okay, now not as a recommendation but as a curiosity: E. Veyrat
Hermanos:

http://www.rosefog.us/imagesAtoI/EVeyratHermanos2.jpg

I can't speak to the floriferousness of that one yet--same with Elie
Beauvilain (this is Gregg and Phillip's plant:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...vilainHuh.jpg/

and Souv. de Mme. Leonie Vienot. EVH has the best foliage here, Leonie
Viennot grows the biggest the fastest. None of them blooms worth a damn
as a small plant, but I learned with Crepuscule not to hold that
against them.

Now the real standout we all want is Jaune Desprez:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...mages/Lots.jpg

I am waiting to take cuttings from that plant. The jack@ss who owns it
cut it back to 18 inches in July. Believe it or not, it's growing back.
So I will take plenty of cuttings this fall. It is just too rank and
new now.

Oh oh oh I remember one you have to get but won't be able to (heh heh):
Plaisanterie available when they get around to it from Errloom.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...aisanterie.jpg