Old 30-08-2003, 04:05 AM
Bob in PA

Default frost lines and shallow ponds

Hi Pat,

I live in Levittown, right outside of Philly. I've had ice as thick as
8 inchs on my pond. Is your pond above ground or buried in it? With the
above ground pond your going to have to worry about ice forming on the sides
to, and an above ground pond will get colder a lot quicker too.
You might not want to leave the waterfall/stream running because it
could form an ice dam, and divert the flow of the water out of the pond.

hth,

Bob

--

Check out my pond webpage:
Http://trains99.tripod.com

Click on the My Pond Link under Places to Go

"O3raledale" wrote in message
Hello all,
How does one find out what the frost line is in their area of the country?

live in Philadelphia, PA. and my pond is only about 18" deep. Will my

goldies
be safe in there over the winter with just a couple of air stones going?

Can I
leave my filter waterfalls/ stream going until it freezes to the point of
spilling out and then turn off the pump and start the air bubbler then?

Please
let me know your thoughts on this matter.
Thank you all,
-Pat