Old 30-08-2003, 06:02 PM
O3raledale

Default frost lines and shallow ponds

Bob,
Thanks for the reply. My pond is below ground, 4'x6' with a 2' falls and a 10'
stream leading into the pond. I'd like to leave the filter running a while to
see what the ice forms will look like. Or is that a bad idea? so as long as i
keep the airstones going I shouldn't have to worry about a full freeze over.
thats comforting to know. Thanks again for the info.
-Pat

Hi Pat,

I live in Levittown, right outside of Philly. I've had ice as thick as
8 inchs on my pond. Is your pond above ground or buried in it? With the
above ground pond your going to have to worry about ice forming on the sides
to, and an above ground pond will get colder a lot quicker too.
You might not want to leave the waterfall/stream running because it
could form an ice dam, and divert the flow of the water out of the pond.

hth,

Bob